Charles Krause elected chair of Midwest Dairy
Charles Krause from Buffalo, Minnesota, was newly elected as chair of Midwest Dairy during the organization’s recent annual meeting in Des Moines, Iowa.
SAINT PAUL, Minn. — Charles Krause from Buffalo, Minnesota, was newly elected as chair of Midwest Dairy during the organization’s recent annual meeting in Des Moines, Iowa.
Elections for the Corporate board officer team were also held. Dan Hotvedt, Decorah, Iowa, was newly elected as first vice chair; Bill Deutsch, Sycamore, Illinois, was newly elected as second vice chair; Rita Young, Plainview, Minnesota, was re-elected as secretary and Matt Schelling, Orange City, Iowa, was newly elected as treasurer.
Krause, of Krause Holsteins, has played a prominent role in the dairy promotion industry. In addition to serving as Midwest Dairy chair, he has been an officer on the Midwest Dairy division board since 2007 and a member of the corporate board since 2010. His past officer position includes being the corporate board first vice chair since 2016. He also serves on the United Dairy Industry Association board as the secretary and serves the Global Dairy Platform as a United States Ambassador.
“I am honored to continue working with my fellow dairy farmers on the Midwest Dairy board as we drive growth and initiatives within the dairy checkoff to serve all dairy farmers in the Midwest better. There are many exciting opportunities for our checkoff organization, and I am proud to be a part of it,” Krause said in a statement.
Krause Holsteins is a multigenerational dairy farm that first began in 1959 and currently milks around 350 cows. The Krause family has been farming in Wright County for over 150 years, and Krause himself is a fifth-generation farmer. Krause and his wife, Robyn, graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1991 and then had the opportunity to join the family farm full-time. Krause also farms with his son, Andrew, and his daughter, Morgan, helps wherever needed. Krause also grows his own feed on 500 acres.
In the past, Krause has received recognition for the Farmer Communicator of the Year award from the National Milk Producers Federation, National Dairy Shrine Progressive Dairymen of the Year, Minnesota Milk Producer of the Year, Dairy Farmers of America Members of Distinction, and Minnesota FFA Hall of Fame Inductee.
Krause is also involved in a variety of dairy and community leadership positions, such as Dairy Farmers of America-Central Area Council Vice Chair, Centra Sota Cooperative Board of Directors, and the Buffalo FFA Alumni. In his spare time, Charles enjoys traveling with his wife, Robyn.
New members elected by their divisions to the Midwest Dairy Corporate board include:
- Anthony Anderson — Minnesota
- Eric Hoese — Minnesota
- Tom Walsh — South Dakota
2023 division board officers and new division board members are as follows:
- Chair — Bill Deutsch, Sycamore
- Vice chair — Brent Mueller, Garden Prairie
- Secretary — Amy Hildebrandt, South Beloit
- Treasurer — Glen Meier, Ridott
- Chair — Dan Hotvedt, Decorah
- Vice chair — Lee Maassen, Maurice
- Secretary — Jonna Schutte, Monona
- Treasurer — Pam Bolin, Clarksville
- Josie Rozum, Ely, and Matt Simon, Blairstown, were seated as new members of the Iowa Division board.
- Chair — Kristine Spadgenske, Menahga
- Vice chair — Kate McAndrews, Sauk Centre
- Secretary — Mindi Arendt, Mazeppa
- Treasurer — Rita Young, Plainview
- Megan Schrupp, Eden Valley, and Rita Vander Kooi, Worthington, were seated as new ex-officio members of the Minnesota Division board.
- Chair — Byron Lehman, Newton, Kansas
- Vice chair — Steve Ohlde, Linn Kansas
- Secretary — Donna Telle, Uniontown, Missouri
- Treasurer — Curtis Steenbock, Longford, Kansas
- Michael Hemme, Concordia, was seated as a new member of the Mo-Kan Division board.
- Chair — Mary Temme, Wayne
- Vice chair — Joyce Racicky, Mason City
- Secretary/Treasurer — Jodi Cast, Beaver Crossing
North Dakota Division
- Chair — Sue Kleingartner, Gackle
- Vice chair — Terry Entzminger, Jamestown
- Secretary — Kim Ledger, Bismarck
- Treasurer — Lilah Krebs, Gladstone
- Chair — Nathan Roth, Mountain Grove, Missouri
- Vice chair — Marilyn Calvin, Mt. Vernon, Missouri
- Secretary — Carrie Rantz, Spokane, Missouri
- Treasurer — Mark Fellwock, Monett, Missouri
- Bill Haak, Gentry, was seated as a new member of the Ozark Division board.
South Dakota Division
- Chair — Marv Post, Volga
- Vice chair — Kevin Van Winkle, Canistota
- Secretary — Maartje Lemstra, Humboldt
- Treasurer — Jogchum Andrenga, Brand
- Maartje Lemstra, Humboldt, and Tom Walsh, DeGraff, were seated as new members of the South Dakota Division board.